PLEASE help quick! With Re-installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileeey

Baseband Member
Ok so I'm re-installing Windows XP on my other dell desktop due to many virus's and corrupt data. I'm at the point where it looks like this:
3.gif
So it says to press enter, but when I press enter nothing happens.
My keyboard is on. Someone please help me out I'm stuck!

You will have to get a keyboard that works on the install screen. Try a PS/2 Adapter or something.

a ps2 gaming system?
huh?
im totally confused.. your gonna have to explain more what that is. Why wouldnt my microsoft keyboard work?

EDIT: Nvm, I know what a PS/2 adapter is and I have one. But thats not my problem, my keyboard works fine, just when I try to reinstall windows its not doing anything. Plus my computer doesn't have a slot for one of those adapters.

A PS/2 adapter is the round adapter with the pins in it, rather than USB. If you don't have a PS/2 (Not PS2 as in PlayStation 2), you'll need to either get one or get an adapter.

I dont know why it wont work. Is it USB? No not a Sony Playstation 2. A PS/2. There is a difference.

CC321Y_LR.jpg

That is a PS/2 port.

Lol I don't get why I can't use my USB Microsoft Keyboard. I have one of these:
USB-PS2-unit.jpg
but it's pointless cause I don't have that kind of slot in my computer?

Maybe it is because the XP CD you are using doesnt support USB 2.0 cause it is only XP pre-SP1 and that did not support USB 2.0.

Maybe your system is malfunctioning from the virus you got. Maybe it was a boot sector virus.

Maybe it is just not your luck this time.

We can not answer questions as to why. Because there is over a million and 1 reasons why something can happen. All of which can be wrong all at the same time.

So what version of XP are you trying to install. Please dont tell me XP Home. I see that. What SP comes on the CD? IT shoudl say XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 on it.

Almost all desktop systems have PS/2 ports on them. They would be located near the top left of the back of the case. A green one for mouse and a purple one for keyboard.

Maybe it is because the XP CD you are using doesnt support USB 2.0 cause it is only XP pre-SP1 and that did not support USB 2.0.

Maybe your system is malfunctioning from the virus you got. Maybe it was a boot sector virus.

Maybe it is just not your luck this time.

We can not answer questions as to why. Because there is over a million and 1 reasons why something can happen. All of which can be wrong all at the same time.

So what version of XP are you trying to install. Please dont tell me XP Home. I see that. What SP comes on the CD? IT shoudl say XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 on it.

Right now I'm using SP2, but the Re-Install CD is SP1. Which might be why this problem is occuring.. Now what should i do?

Almost all desktop systems have PS/2 ports on them. They would be located near the top left of the back of the case. A green one for mouse and a purple one for keyboard.

Nope, My Dell Dimension 9100 doesn't have one :)

I need help, what should I do for a clean re-install with SP3 on my system?
Can I just download SP3 somewhere, and burn it to a blank dvd? then use that for my re-installation disk?

You would have to slipstream SP2 and/or SP3 onto your current install disk using nlite. Cant just use a SP3 CD as it would only contain SP3 and not all the install files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom