please help... intel cpu + winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfa

Solid State Member
I'm looking for help troubleshooting an odd situation.

main board: ASUS p4c800 deluxe
cpu: intel 3.0ghz, hyperthread, 800mhz fsb socket 478
psu: thermaltake silent purepower 480W
memory: 1gb kingmax (2x512mb)
hdd: 120gb maxtor SATA
video: geforce 6800 GT
sound: sb live 5.1

What happens:
I power up computer, and when it starts loading winxp - ie blue bar cycling - it will sometimes turn itself off. Sometimes. If not, it will turn off within about 2 minutes of use. I mean turn itself off as in it reached out and unplugged itself. I have tried a friend's 2.0ghz (no HT) cpu and it works just fine. I have downclocked my cpu to about 2.0ghz, and this seems to work, as long as I turn off hyperthreading.
This computer used to work perfectly for over a year, and now this. I have had my MB and CPU replaced through ASUS and Intel's warranty, tried different video cards, power supplies, even cdroms and hdds, and still cant get the 3.0ghz I paid for to work again - with WinXP Pro.
One more thing, I write this from my computer - fully functioning at 3.0 with HT enabled, with firefox and Fedora Core 4 installed. Seems like some sort of software issue with XP, an update bug maybe??

Has anyone else had this problem? I have heard of the hyperthread issue, which is why the 1st thing I tried was turning it off. This still wont explain why it worked for over 1 year then stopped. I'm really stuck on what to do next.

Any help or link(s) to help would be much appreciated.

thanks for responses....

- Only 1 hareware change, that was to get the 6800 card. the computer ran fine for about 8 months before this problem.
- I have tried to reinstall winXP, but it crashes durring installation. Fedora Core 4 did not crash when installing, and seems to run fine.
- Also, safe mode wont work porperly, but I will be trying that again with HT off just to be sure.

thanks again, any more ideas would be helpfull also

Did you do the bios flash update on that Asus board? I had the same board and I would not function properly without doing the msot current Bios update from Asus: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us. The reason yoju are having to underclock that CPU is your bios. I had the non-delux version of this board and the 800fsb prescott ht needed a biso update for function @ 800mhz fsb.

thanks for the suggestion...

A friend of mine also got me to try the bios update, and it seemed to have no effect. Also, the chip is not a 'prescot' label and I have had the cpu since I bought it with the MB (it worked before any updates were out). I rolled bach the bios update for now, because these kinds of things happen from time to time CAUSED by the updates. I will see if there is an even newer bios update for the board though.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom