Please HELP!... install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

05zx3

Beta member
OK, Ive been having problems with my computer for a while now...

First i had a virus that kept bringing up an Explorer problem but i got that fixed, tehn my computer was over heating BAD cause ac went out and it was like 150 in here (not literaly of course). Then after eveerything was fine, while i was playing World of Warcraft out of the blue one day it just started freezing or my computer would reset itself, so i took it apart and cleaned it out, and left the case wide open thinking it was an overheating issue again but thats not the case.

So yeah, i finally had enough of my computer acting up, after like 2 months, so my friend and i tried to diagnose what the problem was and we've been trying everything!

So far, weve swapped out video cards, ram, and then took one of my hard drives out at a time to see if it was one of them. We tried to reformat them nothing would work.. something kept getting stuck, but it was teh windows xp cd that was the problem there... but i got a brand new hard drive and installed windows. Thats about all that has gone good!

Since installing windows, ive got all the updates i got drivers for everything, cc cleaner and avg free... so i thought i was all ready to install WoW and it still kept freezing durring the install... and its always in teh same places so i tried a different set of cds and still it kept freezing.

So we tried to get a program to monitor my mobo and heat of my cpu and such... I tired to install Winbond and it kept freezing at 95%, everytime... i tried other programs and they freeze at a certain percentage too!

We cant seem to figure out what is wrong and why it would freeze at the same spots everytime. But i cant install a lot of things but i can get on the internet all day long and no problems!

We have alreadydisabled the autorestart on failure, although it doesnt do that anymore, that was only when i was playing games, but i cant get games or a lot of programs to install.

Could anyone please help me out or at least point me in the right direction?!? Thanks

Sounds to me like you have tried almost everything. My next step would be to switch CPU's and try another one of those. The first time your overheated your system could have done damage to the CPU.
Since you have swapped out every other component and everything works good except for when the CPU is under a high load then the CPU is probably on of the last steps you can take. Of course, the last step is your mobo. That should be fine but when you overheat a box, all kinds of wierd things can happen.
Most freezes that I have come across were due to something in windows, memory going bad, and bad CPU's or wrong CPU settings on the mobo.

Just started freezing and would reset, sounds bad dude. Minor coruption in the game data would cause this, that would be likely coused by the hard drive wearing out, you already mentioned you checked for that though, I would replace the power sorce, what you describe can be atributed to a failing psu.

Thanks for your help, and being so quick to respond...

I replaced the Harddrive with a brand new 160gig... so thats fine and the power supply was fine... i went from two hard drives to one so thats one less thing that needs power... plus if if were a power supply issue, it wouldnt work fine 95% of the time and then crap out all of the sudden, well at least it doesnt make sense to either of us.

Are there any other tests that i might be able to do before spending lots of money on a new cpu and mobo?

Unfortunately having extra parts is the best way to troubleshoot system problems. I would recommend trying to find a CPU to borrow just to test. Unless you have a good friend that trusts your computer skills this might be difficult and you may just have to buy another one. I'm sure you have already checked your CPU fan to make sure it is working at full speed and installed correctly. Another things to check is to see if the CPU is overheating or is already burnt up. If it is overheating while the system is on then It will lock up consistantly with the same amount of run time. Of course it is electronic so replacing it is the only way to be 100%.

Luckily i have a good friend that has let me use his ram and video card and such, but finding someone with a mobo for my cpu or the other way around is next to impossible.

Thanks for all your info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom