PLEASE HELP...Blank Desktop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicebogey

Beta member
I have the same problem...when i went to upgrade my direct x and restarted my computer, everything was gone. No taskbar, no folders, no start menu, no shortcuts...nothing. IT'S A BLANK DESKTOP! When I right click the Desktop area...still nothing. I'm running Windows XP Professional w/SP1. I did boot in Safe Mode and restored to an earlier date and still nothing. I did forget to mention that when Windows does load...the only thing that appear it an Internet Explorer pop-up that allows me tomanually put in places I would like to go as far as me going to certain places on my computer and on the internet.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Only when I'm in administrative mode I have the problem with the blank desktop. If I'm a normal user...all is fine. Is there a way to solve this?

How do I get to the %SystemRoot% folder?

Do I eventually want to get to this C:\ for the %SystemRoot% folder?

MicroBell said:
Try this... To fix the problem, perform the following steps:

Press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to open Task Manager.
Select File | New Task (Run).
Type cmd and press [Enter] to open the command prompt.
Change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
Type ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old to change the name of the old DLL file.
Restart the computer.

This should prevent the file from interfering with the shell or Explorer.exe and allow the system to boot normally. If your system appears to hang on boot and displays a blank desktop or no desktop at all, search for older DLL files in the root folder and perform these steps before resorting to a complete reinstall.

Update!!!

After hours of enabling and disabling in MSCONFIG...this is what I found out.

When I go to msconfig and go to the Services Tab...with these things check I get the blank desktop:

DCHP
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Net Logon
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)

How can I fix these?

Thanks
slicebogey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back