Please Help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrich

Beta member
I was running Win XP with broadband (wanadoo) and using 2 different ftp progs for uploading my web pages. All was fine.

I have now purchased a new PC, and to enable 2 independant net connections, connected both together via network cards and Xover cable. I then run XP wizard and set up LAN. This worked fine and both computers can see each other, share data and the new one works perfectly on the net, being connected via my original PC which has the broadband modem.

Since doing this, I was unable to connect to a few websites (on either PC) and my ftp software refused to connect. I done the usual checks (disabled firewall, reset winsock, checked port settings, tracert etc etc) and drew a blank.

In desperation, I switched off new PC & removed network cables, disabled the LAN connection and removed all shares so basically I wa back to a basic standalone. I also diabled all Mcafee (firewall/antivirus etc) Rebooted and got a FTP connection on both different FTP progs (cute & ftp commander) proving the user/password/domain etc are all correct Happy with this, I reconnected the new PC, reconnected network, set wizard again and enabled mcafee. Instantly, refused to connect.

Removed all the above again expecting it to work as before and it will not. I now just get the message:
STATUS:> Host name hosting2.123-reg.co.uk resolved: ip = 212.67.202.230.
STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server hosting2.123-reg.co.uk:21 (ip = 212.67.202.230)...
ERROR:> The remote host actively refused the attempt to connect to it.

I know the host refusing generally means the problem is with the server host but this is not the case as it was all working fine until I added the second PC and again when I disabled all the other bits. I am convinced it has something to do with the ports or similar. It almost seems that the XP wizard has changed something that is now causing ftp to be refused by the host server.

I have tried all the settings in ftp, (passive, http etc) and gain, same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom