Playing "My Music"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAshley

Solid State Member
Had no problems until I installed VLC player. Now the Play "My Music" selection uses this player rather than either Windows Media Player or Real Player. I can't seem to find a way to change the default player back to the original. Any help very gratefully rec'd.

Are you on Windows XP or Vista? It's pretty much the same fix, but what you need to do is change the default program for MP3 files. Do this by going to Control Panel and opening Folder Options.

Click on the File Types tab at the top and then scroll the Registered File Types box down until you get to MP3. Click on MP3 and it should come up with "Details for MP3 Extension" saying "Opens With: VLC Media Player". Click Change and then select Windows Media Player from the list (on my computer it's under VLC in the Recommended Programs category, if it isn't there you may have to browse for it, the program is located in "C:/Program Files/Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe".

Could also just try opening WMP, go to Tools > Options > File Types tab > and put a check next to MP3 and whatever other file types you want it to be the default for.

Do the same in RealPlayer by going into the options and finding the place where its the default player. Check which ones you want (if any).

or you could right click on one of your music files, open with, set default program, and pick the one of your choice.

or you could right click on one of your music files, open with, set default program, and pick the one of your choice.

This is true. But if there's multiple file types that VLC took control of, you'd have to do that to each file ;). Whereas the way I posted you could do it all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom