placing Windows Xp, or ME on hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes74

Solid State Member
I'm a newbie and don't know wat forum category this belongs under but im going to put it on both hardware and software and you can delete the one that is wrong.

anywayz onto my problem, i had a windows ME compaq computer that suddenly wouldn't start , it would get to the red logo compaq and quit, i tried to the Q/R cd's but they didnt' work,
I hooked up the old hard drive to an windows Xp hp computer(the one im on now) and want to reformat it and put either xp on it or windows ME back on it.
I've read many places how to do this but they all say you need the original cd that came with the computer, but i never got an original windows xp cd or a windows me with either computer
Is there some files that i can copy from xp to make a cd and burn it onto the hard drive or something, or is this impossible
thanx for the help
wes

You could make an image of your XP partition and copy it to the other drive. You could also copy the partition. you could experience trouble because you are using an operating system that comes out of another computer (other hardware etc) when placing it in your compaq.

You can use Ghost or Drive Image to make an image of the XP partition and copy it to the compaq drive.

Or use Partition Magic or Acronis' partition program to copy the entire partition.

Then place the HD in the Compaq and hope it works :D

take the compaq HDD, place the jumper on the back of it so that the hard drive is a slave, connect it to the other computer, go to my computer, and both the hard drives should be shown. format the compaq hard drive. then open up the hard disk that has xp on it, highlight everything, right click, copy... then go back to the compaq hard drive, and paste...... JUST MAKE SURE OF THIS. if the xp hard disk is bigger than the compaq hard disk, i would choose the files carefully so your compaq hard disk won't be full by the time you're ready to use it. but make sure you get all the system files and the important stuff. hope i helped.

Important files????

I already have the old drive as a slave, but what are the important files
my main folders are
DOCUMENS AND SETTINGS
PRORGAM FILES
SYSPREP
QUARANTINE
MSSLOG
WINDOWS
two files also called
gdiplus.dll
SahAgent text documet