permissions issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsmith82

Beta member
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

Step 2 says: "Caution You will cause permissions issues if you create the custom user profile when you are logged on as the administrator."

What kinds of permissions issues would there be? What if I want all created users to be administrators? Do the "permissions issues" go beyond that?

What I am thinking is... maybe all users, normal and administrator, are based on the default user profile, but permissions are adjusted according to the account type when a new user is created. Is this true? If so, then I might as well follow the article and create the custom default user profile as a normal user.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

adsmith82 said:
What I am thinking is... maybe all users, normal and administrator, are based on the default user profile, but permissions are adjusted according to the account type when a new user is created. Is this true? If so, then I might as well follow the article and create the custom default user profile as a normal user.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

There are several distinct group in XP, the two important and use the most are the Administrators and the Users group (or better known as limited account). I’m not sure what Microsoft meant by step two, but I am assuming that the permission issue is with the user “My Document” folder that holds their “My Music”, “My Picture” and “My Video” folder which only has permission for administrators group, system and their account to access. Other folder have the group like say Users group so that if Mike account is part of the Users group (Limited account) he still have read access to Program files and Windows folder but he won’t have access to Sherry “My Document” folder because there’s only three security item permitted and that is Administrators group, System and Sherry account. I hope that’s clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom