Periodic disconnects from WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

og5

Baseband Member
I just bought a notebook and it seems to disconnect from my WAn every 30 minutes or so. To fix the problem I have to disconnect the laptop from the WAN, powercycle it, and reconnect. This connection problem does not happen to other computers on the network.

Other details:

I'm in very close proximity to the router (about 5 feet away, not moving)

The WAn settings on the notebook do not show any connection issues. The only thing that happens is the connection seems to die (pages don't load and downloads go to 0kbs/sec)

I have a new compaq with windows vista

Any idea what the problem is?

maybe its your wireless adapter in ur notebook, if its new why don't you take it back if you brought it from pc world they have a router in store, they can test it on there!!! or try n connect to another wireless connection nearby you and then you will be sure that it is the notebook.

Also do u have MAC adddressing activated?

I think every hi fi hardware has to have 1. Its like a unique number for ewach hardware you have, like if you look under your wireless card you will find 1 there and i think you can find 1 under your router. If you have it enablled you have to imput all the mac address into the router settings from like 192.168.0.1. if not they woint be able to connect. heres more of an idea MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or go to your router settings my belkin tell mes some bit about it

I also stated WPA, I think it might just be cheap inferior products I have some really crap ones (actiontec) which just struggle with security and disconnects, if I turn it off its connected all the time no issues. I use MAC filtering and turn my SSID off so Id say I'm secure enough with that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom