Performance hit in IRQ sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybeans

In Runtime
Ok, here is the problem. My computer is set up using ACPI HAL and is allocating everything on my AGP/PCI slots to the same IRQ. I don't want to bother reinstalling windows just to exclude certain hardware from using the same IRQ so was wondering if there is a good workaround for this problem (excluding the use of Regular PC HAL if possible). My motherboard does not have an option to disable ACPI HAL so I cannot do it this way. Here are the specs on my system. Ive heard PC HAL can be installed by updating a driver somewhere and doesn't require reinstallation of windows. Has anyone else heard of this?

AMD Duron 750
640 MB PC133 SDRAM (1x512MB, 1x128MB)
eVGA GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB DDR
Creative SB Live! 5.1
GA-7ZX Motherboard (BIOS ver - AMI 62710)
Windows XP Professional v5.1.2600 Build 2600

IRQ allocation:

IRQ 0 - system timer
IRQ 1 - Standard 101/102-Key etc...
IRQ 6 - FDC
IRQ 8 - CMOS/RTC
IRQ 9 - ACPI-Compliant System, nVidia GeForce FX 5700LE, VIA Rev 5 or later USB UHCx2, Promise Ultra 133 TX2 IDE Controller, Realtek RTL... Ethernet Card, Creative SB Live!
IRQ 12 - PS/2 Mouse
IRQ 13 - Numeric Data Processor
IRQ 14 - Pri IDE Channel
IRQ 15 - Sec IDE Channel

As you can see, I have open IRQs but the system chooses to share EVERYTHING on one stinking channel. Any help will be great thanks.

I posted this on the Hardware Forum as well, nobody seems to know anything about the topic. Surely there is someone out there who has a few cents to throw in?

Yeah... as I figured, not much of a choice I guess lol. So your saying even if I set up the OS to use a standard PC HAL, since the BIOS doesn't offer an option to disable ACPI, windows would still install ACPI despite my efforts? I don't see why Microsoft can't give us a bone here, I mean if we could manually override IRQ steering for a single device the world would be a better place :/ It is a bit annoying that all my perepherials are on the same IRQ, the computer runs ok but I feel it could run alot better with main components using open IRQ slots... The sound skips when major processes are taking place like graphical rendering, etc. so I know it is taking a performance hit... Anyways, thanks for the reply, hopefully I can figure out something lol.

crazybeans said:
The sound skips when major processes are taking place like graphical rendering, etc. so I know it is taking a performance hit... Anyways, thanks for the reply, hopefully I can figure out something lol.

What a stinkin coincidence. Hey CB, i have a Dell Dimensions 4100 and I have the same problem re: the sound skipping. (Santa Cruz TB soundcard).

Like you, last year I also tried to see if my OS (W2k) allowed me to manually change those IRQ assignments but no success. And thanks to MB's posting, now I understand why. That whole PCI steering stuff... hmm... none of that was covered in my A+ study guide books... i still have yet to devote some time to study up the PCI steering concept. I too am puzzled why MS wouldn't give us the option to manually assign a H/W device.

It's probably some sort of a trade-off. MS probably figures that not all computer users are geeks and are gonna want to change those IRQ's or even know what an IRQ is used for. Hence make it automated with as little (or no) user input.

Your probably right, if they don't give us the option at all they save money on the technical support side. The less of us out there screwing with our systems the better their job is, and cheaper. Hopefully they will shape up and give control back to the user. Anyone know when their next installment of Windows will be released? Anyways, see ya around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom