Performance After Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjf314

In Runtime
I reformatted my machine last week and for the most part everything has worked fine. However, a few days ago I re-downloaded Steam and installed Counter-Strike: Source. Previously, I had no problems running the game on my system. Now, shortly after entering a server, the game will lock up, forcing me to hard reset my machine. Generally, the game will freeze as soon as a new round starts when I can actually start playing the game.

I'm not sure what would be causing this problem. I originally thought that I could be missing some drivers, but I re-installed all of the drivers that came on the Driver and Utlities disc that shipped with my computer and I downloaded the latest video and sound drivers from the ATI and Creative websites, respectively.

Oh, and here are my specs:

Computer: Dell Dimension 9100
Processor: Pentium D Processor with Dual Core Technology (3 GHz)
Memory: 1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz
Monitor: 17 inch E173FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Card: 256 MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
Hard Drive: 250 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005
DVD Drives: 16x DVD+/-RW Drive and 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Dell 5650 5.1 100 Watt Speaker System with Subwoofer

Any ideas?

Bad sectors on your HD
Bad memory (Game is filling it up or hitting a bad bank that normally doesnt get reached with normal computing.)

Bad windows installation
Bad steam installation

or maybe steam just dosnt like you

It seems really unlikely to me that my memory would just randomly go bad right after a reformat. I think it would be too much of a coincidence. Bad sectors on the HDD could be an issue, but after checking the drive for errors, nothing turned up.

If the installation of Windows was bad, would I be noticing problems in any other areas? CS is literally the only program I have had issues with so far, but it's also the most resource-intesive one I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom