Per User Restrictions - SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

inflames

Baseband Member
Hey all !

I've read about and messed around in group policy editor alot, found many things I searched for but one thing remains a problem...

The issue is that I want to change certain settings in the group policy editor (my account is admin), but I only want them to effect the second account in the computer (user/power user)...

I've tried reading about it, snap-in passed by but I was still confused in what exactly to do to make it only effect the second (user-account), and not my account aswell..

I'm running windows xp pro...

Thanks in advance.

The problem is in the local group policy. They are applied to all. there is no way to direct the group policy to a specific account on the local policy. If you have an AD domain, then you can apply to groups that you and the second account a members of. This is due to the policy being a file on the machine that when turned on, is applied to all. It wouldn't make sence to only apply it to one user on the machine, when it's design is for network based deployment.
You can look at the Group policy configuration, %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy\machine or User \\ registry.pol
that file contains the local policy configs. Once you have configured it, if you look at the file, then extract out what you want to use, you can create that into registy settings that will not be true policy, but work the same way. They are just easier to get around.

Hope that helps.

Inaris said:
Once you have configured it, if you look at the file, then extract out what you want to use, you can create that into registy settings that will not be true policy, but work the same way. They are just easier to get around.

Hope that helps.

How/what programs do I need to be able to edit that file?

And what you said helps, thanks! ^_^

regview from the ms 2003 deployment kit. It will show you the vaules of the file on the command line. Then you pipe that out to a txt file to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom