pci.sys - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default pci.sys

Okay, so twice now I've installed Windows XP Pro, installed all the drivers and then restarted to see "Windows could not start because system32\something\pci.sys is missing or corrupt."

I haven't restarted the computer yet, and I am scared to. What do I do if I get this error when I restart? Is there a fix? Hopefully someone's seen this before.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBK/tip5400/rh5410.htm

Is this what I need? With my Windows CD I couldnt find a way to get to the recovery console.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Okay sorry for the triple post, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this:

I fixed the above problem, here's what I have: an IDE 40gb harddrive with WinXP on it right now. I also have an IDE 300GB harddrive. Now, I either need to copy everything from teh 40gb to the 300gb and use that (preferably) or I need to format the 300GB, and use it as like a second harddrive. But my problem is that I have no idea how to format a drive in Windows.

Someone care to help me?
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Windows XP uses the NTFS file formatting system.

Is the 300GB hard drive formatted on NTFS? If so, then I don't think you'll need to format at all. It should work fine.

If it is not on NTFS, then I can't help you there. I'm on Windows 98 and the only way to format a hard drive on my computer is to boot it using a boot disk and reformat it manually with MS-DOS.

I'm sure other people here would know the proper method since most people here use Windows XP.
Sometimes, it feels as though my life is just a never-ending circle of pain and misery. Not to mention sadness, worthlessness, and humiliation. But I can only cry inside. Deep behind my happy smile and bright personality is a sad and lonely person, a mere figment of my former self. Someday, all this pain will be over. I will drop down and die. At other times I ask myself, \"If only this would happen right now\".
Old 07-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Okay sorry for the triple post, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this:

I fixed the above problem, here's what I have: an IDE 40gb harddrive with WinXP on it right now. I also have an IDE 300GB harddrive. Now, I either need to copy everything from teh 40gb to the 300gb and use that (preferably) or I need to format the 300GB, and use it as like a second harddrive. But my problem is that I have no idea how to format a drive in Windows.

Someone care to help me?
It has to be formatted first to FAT32 or NTFS for Windows to detect it. Once you install the drive go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management-Disk Management. If the harddrive is not formatted it should say unallocated space, right click on it and select format, then select NTFS.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Okay thanks, but is there any way I can copy everything from this drive to the 300gb drive? In Linux it'd be a piece of cake, but like I said I know almost 0 about Windows.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
The ModFather

What Make/model are the 2 HDDs? Sometimes you can go to their websites and download programs to transfer info,
WD for example-
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....r/grid_alp.php

Why not do a fresh install on the 300gig HDD?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Cause I just did a fresh install and decided I wanted more space for these games, lol.

I'll just leave it how it is. I have the OS on my 40gb HDD, and the I have an NTFS formatted 250gb SATA drive mounted as C:\Games I had no idea Windows would let you mount drives wherever you want! There's one less thing Linux has on Windows I guess.

Closed Thread