Status
Not open for further replies.

theo

Solid State Member
Hello there.

I'm beginning to be mad about my internet provider changing
my static ip-adress. Until a few months ago this didn't gave any
problems till now.

I'm using pcanywhere to assist people from my own computer.
with pc-problems.
Now its still working until i try to even ping an ip thats close to
my own. like this.

from 217.123.40.112 to 217.123.41.80,

I can't ping, connect anything in the range from 217.123.40.1
to 217.123.41.255. All others like 217.123.39 or 217.123.42 works
perfect.

My internet connection is from @home and i'm behind a DC-202
router from Sitecom. The other person with 217.123.41.80 is
using XP SP1 just like me but he has a the cable direct on his PC
with a NIC.

I personaly think it has to with the gateway, were at the same
gateway 217.123.41.1 and since we've got @home we can't change it.

Please Help

Theo

ahh good old PCA. your problem is that you are using your computer to control theirs so it doesn't matter if you have a static IP or not. since you want to control their computers and they have a dynamic IP you need to run an IP updating program on their machines. here's my little guide:

what you need to do is sign up for a no-ip(.com?) or dyndns.org account. on their website they will tell you how & where to use an IP updater program. with dyndns i use DYNAMIC_DNS_5. you run the IP updater program on the host(machine you will control with the client machines). every time your dynamic IP changes it logs into your dyndns.org or no-ip account and tells them the new IP.

the updater program must be set to start when windows starts up. on your client machines (ones that will control the host) they will enter whatever the account name of the no-ip or dyndns.org account that you signed up for like selene.dyndns.org . when PCA requests for selene.dyndns.org dyndns.org maps that address to the real quad number (like 274.363.27.38) which was given by the IP updater program.

dyndns.org has tutorials on their site so read them, no-ip should also have tuts on their site. there are many IP updating programs you can use, not just the one i mentioned

Thanks, i tried to use an dyndns account, but i still can't access
that specific ip. My friend also cannot reach my dyndns account
but others can.

Please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom