PC won't start help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PC won't start help

PC: Comapaq Presario SR1151NX Win XP (approx 4 yrs old and out of warranty)

I don't know if that has anything to do with the service pack #3 that I had installed a few days ago. Last night I was had unplugged my pc and upon turning my pc back on I was getting this continuous reboot: options was to start in:

safe mode
safe mode without networking
Last know config
Start Normally

I tried starting back up in safe mode with no luck. I tried all other options as well with no luck. Being I couldn't do anything else I felt my next best option was to do a system restore. I started the system restore and we had a power interuption during it. Now when I started up the pc I got the error message NTLDR is missing hit - ALT Control - Del to restart - which brings me back to splash page (compaq) then I get same error message: NTLDR is missing. What I think happened during that power interuption files were lost. I don't have a restore disk because it was preloaded on the pc.

I called Compaq (HP) and asked if there was a restore disk that I could get. They are mailing one to me. My question is do you think the restore disk will repair anything that the power interuption caused? missing files? Is there anything I can do now to repair this without the restore disk? Will I have to change the boot sequence when I do get the disk? If so how should the sequence be?

Thx
Leyton

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: PC won't start help

Fix for Restart Bug after installing Windows XP SP3

Your PC is affected by this. Compaq and HP are the same thing just different name.

You can insert the XP disc and go into the Recovery console to do a fixboot and fixmbr.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread