PC won't let me boot from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomS

Baseband Member
my old pc is cluttered with viruses, registry errors and general crap so ive decided to format it

however when i start my pc with the windows XP installer CD in, with my BIOS settings set to boot from my CDROM drive it comes up with "Press any key to boot from CD" but wont let me press any of the keys on my keyboard, it then goes to the screen which says windows did not shut down properly and again i cant use my keyboard

however, the keyboard works fine in the bios and in windows

any ideas of what i can do?

Are you using a USB Keyboard? If so it sounds as if the USB drivers are not kicking in yet. Try a different USB Prot and see if it will work. Either that or hook it up to a USB to PS/2 Adapter and see if it will work.

ive used a PS/2 adapter on it and that didnt work either, just did the same thing, it works in the BIOS which is before it boots so i have no idea whats goin on

I've had quite a few keyboard issue with usbs, using a non-usb is a good suggestion; reset your drivers for a usb keyboard.

So cluttered with viruses, sounds quite bad.

uplug all hdd and memory. turn computer on. it won't start, but it will beep. do this again.

plug your hdd and ram back up. use powermax 4 (quick erase) in my signature to wipe your hard drive clean. reinstall window.

do it exactly like this.

powermax will clean any bootsectors virus, while doing the rest will clear the viruses out of your memory. you have to take the hdd out too becaue it will reinsert the virus if you just take out the memory by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom