PC Tune up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaGump69
Default PC Tune up

So how do you guys tune up your pc's? I work on friends computers sometimes. When ever they have a problem they ask me to look at it. I generally take there pc for a few days and just clean it out. First I clear the temp files. Some people have never done this and they have so much crap on there it's amazing. Then I will scan the system with avg (if they don't have it I install it with their permission of course). Then I will run spybot and adaware. This generally helps out alot. I will also look at for any unnecessary programs and delete them. Is this enough? Can anybody suggest anything else to do. Of course I could do a reinstall but that would suck. I am trying to get a good system of cleaning out a pc with out having to reinstall everything. Thanks....

Hiding out in Afghanistan....
Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis Free

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, reboot.

Msconfig Cleanup Free

Old 05-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

ccleaner mate, that cleans everything from temp files to cookies to most recently visted websites etc, couldnt possibly list everything as theres loads but basically the first ever time i ran this i managed to free up almost a gigs worth of space and it took no longer than 50 seconds to do that, i was gob smacked!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Most important tool i've found is online virus scanners. Most people are too lazy to install an antivirus, and finding viruses is so easy online.

Also HiJackThis is pretty easy too. MicroBell checks the system for you, and tells you how to fix it.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaGump69

Thaks guys. I'll check out the programs you suggested.
Hiding out in Afghanistan....
Closed Thread