PC taking 35 minutes to boot - dll error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runshouse

Beta member
Last night I shut my PC down normally and today it is taking at least 35 minutes to boot into Windows, and then won't run anything while the hard drive stutters like crazy. I have had a couple of error messages both saying that msvcp71.dll wasn't there... one with lvcomsx.exe and one I didn't write down.

I downloaded the msvcp71.dll file from site when I googled the problem and burnt it to CD. I booted my PC into safe mode (only took 15 minutes) and I could access folders/my computer etc normally. I pasted the .dll into a temp folder and tried to paste it from there into windows/system32 but it stuttered for two minutes and then gave me a cyclic redundency error. Trying to delete/modify/view the original file in the system32 folder causes the PC to stutter again for at least two minutes, then give me another cyclic redundency error. Other files in the folder don't suffer this problem.

I use zone alarm pro which I had to shut down for about half an hour yesterday. PC's an AMD64 3000+ with 1.5gb ram running Win XP sp 2.

What's going on? I can't find anything useful on the web. Can anyone help before keyboards/fists are broken?

Cheers!
Edit/Delete Message

you might want to check your startup entries in msconfing > startup. Disable everything in there except your antivirus and firewall if you have one, reboot

"you could try replacing the file from the repair console (xp cd press R)"

I'm not sure that will work as I've already tried replacing the file with one I downloaded off the web. The file already in the system folder can't be moved/viewed etc because of a cyclic redundancy check.

"you might want to check your startup entries in msconfing > startup. Disable everything in there except your antivirus and firewall if you have one, reboot"

Is that everything in the 'services' & 'startup' tabs, or in the three *.ini tabs as well?

try it from the repair console, the OS on your HDD wont be active at the repair console so you ought to be able to do pretty much anything to it without it interfering.

Edit: oh and I'd check your drive filesystem integrity and your system files (run sfc /scanonce then reboot) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom