PC is slowing down and actin likes it a 50 year old man.....! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default

256MB SD-RAM and I had XP since when it came out in 2002 so I definently know its not the problem, however, though it could be the NSW and zonelarm 6.6 combo is the problem..... should I try a different method instead like it least good AV that won't let crap in and Firewall that won't crash when I not home and get the red dialog box screen of death just because a trojan broke through network and is on my machine ?

As soon as you give me a answer I'll get work on immediatley and post back at around 6:45am when I get to work.
__________________

-RockMan- is offline  
Old 10-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMikeXP
256MB SD-RAM and I had XP since when it came out in 2002 so I definently know its not the problem, however, though it could be the NSW and zonelarm 6.6 combo is the problem..... should I try a different method instead like it least good AV that won't let crap in and Firewall that won't crash when I not home and get the red dialog box screen of death just because a trojan broke through network and is on my machine ?

As soon as you give me a answer I'll get work on immediatley and post back at around 6:45am when I get to work.

it is the problem. 256mb is good for a computer that is light on resource and doesn't have many programs install. I tell anybody that has an A/V, a firewall and adware program that they need a minium of 512mb. now your problem is compounded by a slow processer. I sell 500mhz computers all days for 200-250 bucks (my friend has a warehouse full of them). I upgrade the ram to 512 and they run damn near as fast as a 2.2mhz, 256mb machine. Pc world did a in depth article a few months ago explaining why you should use 512mb as a minium for xp

no you can fix your problem by uninstalling NSW, ZA and installing NOD32 or VCOM's fix it ultilities 6 (thay are light on resources) and enabling xp firewall. you can also change your pagefile (since you got a big harddrive) to 1744 for the minium and maxium.
__________________

__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default

Well I can say good bye to a good AV that I known well for 5 years and it never gave me problems until now along with zonealarm 6.6 one question though, when I enable my firewall on my gateway not my moms dell will I'll be able to still access the home network I just recently setup ?

Is there any chance my gateway might scream and die if I take out both 128 SD sticks and put in 512 sd-ram stick and see if it will boot up ? email me eric so I can talk to you further. (SuperMadMikeXP@comcast.net) you know I appreciate your help eric b and the others give me your address and I'll send a keg of beer and 20 bucks to use at apple bee's takeout or TGI fridays...
-RockMan- is offline  
Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default

Your log looks good by they way..
__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 10-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default

Real good news, good news, and the bad news........

The real good news is my system is really silent now ever since temporarly banned NAV and ZA from system I have put in NOD32 on my system and its not bugging me for any updates or wants to interrupt my nights with intensive scans for viruses, the good news my midi is playing very well now without even a skip or jump. the bad news will XP SP2 firewall protect my system well enoguh like ZL did or do I have to try a safer firewall to try besides ZL ? also I don't want to be gone allday and night from my tomorrow and wonder and worry if I'll get hacked or have a gate crusher trojan horse trying to destroy my PC.

also eric if you have any 2003 and 2004 used custom built gateway PC's let me know by email and I might buy one from you.
-RockMan- is offline  
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMikeXP
Well I can say good bye to a good AV that I known well for 5 years and it never gave me problems until now along with zonealarm 6.6 one question though, when I enable my firewall on my gateway not my moms dell will I'll be able to still access the home network I just recently setup ?

Is there any chance my gateway might scream and die if I take out both 128 SD sticks and put in 512 sd-ram stick and see if it will boot up ? email me eric so I can talk to you further. (SuperMadMikeXP@comcast.net) you know I appreciate your help eric b and the others give me your address and I'll send a keg of beer and 20 bucks to use at apple bee's takeout or TGI fridays...
I don't know if your mobo will recognize those sticks. it if doesn't it just won't boot. but they should recognize 2 x 256mb sticks

lockettkrew (at) msn (dot) com

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMikeXP
Real good news, good news, and the bad news........

The real good news is my system is really silent now ever since temporarly banned NAV and ZA from system I have put in NOD32 on my system and its not bugging me for any updates or wants to interrupt my nights with intensive scans for viruses, the good news my midi is playing very well now without even a skip or jump. the bad news will XP SP2 firewall protect my system well enoguh like ZL did or do I have to try a safer firewall to try besides ZL ? also I don't want to be gone allday and night from my tomorrow and wonder and worry if I'll get hacked or have a gate crusher trojan horse trying to destroy my PC.

also eric if you have any 2003 and 2004 used custom built gateway PC's let me know by email and I might buy one from you.
xp firewall block incoming trojans, but not outgoing one like ZA (meaning if your have some on your computer now, they could send stuff out. but you shouldn't have any on there now). however Nod32 will take care of those trojans if they somehow get on your computer .

those computer that my friend has are old mass bought used computer from businesses that are barebone with seperate hard drive that has been wiped clean. they are most P3 500mhz, 15-20 gig harddrive. I try to make sure that each one that I get has 512 ram.

I have these for people that don't want to spend a lot for a newly built computer, but they want something that is not retardly slow
__________________

__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.