PC Repair Kit Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcLaughlin

Baseband Member
So I am trying to put together a PC repair kit since I help a lot of people fix their computers.

I want to know if it would be better to get a 32GB USB flash drive or a 300-500GB external hard drive for about the same price... Couldn't I both use them to keep several computer maintenance programs on their and back up my friends and families files on there? And wouldn't I get more bang for my buck if I get the external HD? I don't care about the size or anything. As long as it is portable.

What are some programs out their that you suggest to use for computer maintenance that I can keep on a USB/external HD?

Here are some candidates so far:

CCleaner (USB edition)
JKDefragGUI
SysExporter
Driver Backup (anything better than this?)
RockXP or ProduKey (which one?)
7Zip Portable
ClamWin Portable
Firefox Portable
PC Decrapifier
WinAudit or SIW
DTaskManager
BootIt

I also plan to use an Image of XP and Vista to speed up reformatting.

Should I buy a USB wireless adapter as well for any reason?

Any other tools I should look at or any other programs that are better than the ones I posted or any more that you would recommend?

THANKS!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7688/forworkva0.jpg

thats a ss of a folder of stuff i used at work. most of it is pretty up to date and does minor diag stuff. granted you'll wanna get newer versions of stuff, but that looks good so far (your list)

you'll wanna make a copy of the taskmanager because viruses and stuff can stop the use of it, so make sure you have a .exe on your flash drive/ hdd. also buying a big external drive doesn't make a lot of sense. i would just get an 8gb flash drive and put all of your maitinence stuff on there, but get a nice external drive and do backups.

Also get your hands on a Hiren's Boot disk. Can come in handy a lot. It's bootable, and also has some utilities that can be ran in Windows itself.

i'll just comment on one portion of the op's question ;)

I would say a flash drive is better....ONLY in that there is less of a chance of your investment going south because you'll be lugging your drive around a lot.

I can't quite throw my hd based drives around....but my flash ones...who cares....they can take it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom