PC Randomly Stops Responding/Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I ran Memtest for one pass, it took like one hour and 5 minutes and didn't have any errors. I would have left it ran the rest of the night but I didn't want to leave it and have it shut down and not see if it had any errors.

That's something I never really thought about before, would it be all of the power saving features on the motherboard/bios? I think I'll see how many there are and play around with having them off and on. Thanks for the idea :D.

For the last time. A minimum of 4 hours, MEANS A MINIMUM OF FOUR HOURS

IT could be, but its unlikely, play around with the power options in control panel.

Oh, I didn't know it had to be ran for at least four hours, it was my first time using it.

I disabled the NB power management features in the bios and it hasn't done it since, but I'm going to see if it happens over the next few days to say that it actually solved it.

Yeah, it's something I never would have thought of, I'm really hoping it did though so I can actually enjoy this thing instead of worrying about it having problems all the time ;). Thanks for your help, I'll reply back if anything comes up about it.

Well it happened a few times since I changed that NB power management feature setting. I think I might try to try and stress the psu by running prime95 and furmark at the same time for a while to try to see if it's a psu problem. Not sure it would work though. I'll run memtest tonight when I go to bed and see how it's doing when I wake up.

If both don't present a problem, the next thing I'll do is take the motherboard out and try to run it outside of the case to see if it's shorting out somehow. All of the motherboard screws are using the brass standoffs though, what are other reasons it would short out for?

I don't have one of those :(. I've been running Prime95 and Furmark for almost two and a half hours and it hasn't shut down yet (the APC software for my UPS says it's pulling about 405W from the wall, just to give an idea of what the psu is coping with).

I don't think it's a psu problem, if it was dieing I think it would have showed an error while doing this test, it's a lot more stressful than when it has happened idling before. I'll see what memtest reports in the morning and go from there. I'll be out of town until Monday maybe, so I'll have to try other things then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom