PC Problem: Restarting by itself - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PC Problem: Restarting by itself

im am no pro. but here's the deal:

sometimes my computer would shut down on its own. thats pretty much the problem and its pissing me off. also sometimes it would just freeze completely.

im running:
av7333 asus
1gig+ ddr333 ram
amd athlon 2100+ xp
winxp sp1

i recently had a cpu overheating problem that was fixed by installing a new fan + heatsink. my current cpu temp is 60* C. is there any potienal problem there?

could the automatic restart be a cpu overheat prevention? also the completely freezing PC is a sign of cpu over heating?

my computer is quite clean, defraged, no junk that i know of. thanks

Old 11-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

when it restarts does it give you a warning message or just without warning? 60C is a bit hot, when you were overheating before what temps does it reach before it overheated? i am asking because it is possible your cpu was damaged from the overheat even with the failsafe.

another thing you should consider is your power supply. it could be the reason you are getting freezing and shutdowns. how old is the power supply? if you see a lot of dirt and dust inside the power supply (without opening it up) than it is old or needs cleaning. testing with another power supply would be a good idea.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

When you overheated your CPU you may have damaged it a little the problem is that the processor or the motherboard may become more sensitive to the heat because of the earlier problem.
Closed Thread