PC Not Shutting Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain

Baseband Member
Hi Everyone,
I have read through all of the posts I could find related to a Windows XP system not shutting down, but was not able to use any of those sollutions to fix this issue. Basically, we have created a new image to be put on all of our IBM T43 laptops. When we try to shut down, it goes through all the motions (Saving Settings, "Windows is Shutting Down") but after that, it just hangs and doesnt do anything. It does the same thing through Safe Mode. For some reason, it does sometimes restart and shut down successfully, but about 80% of the time it will not work. I have tried logging in as different users, but there is no common element. Ive tried removing NIC/Wireless/Display drivers, but still no go. Also, there are no event logs because that service must shut down when the PC is shutting down. Also the mouse goes non responsive when "Windows is shutting down" goes away. Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps a tool that might be able to diagnose which service/driver/process might be causing the issue?

Thanks

Think I have the issue resolved. Basically on the image, we have Platform 1.5 and 1.4 installed of Java. There are 3 products, 1.5.0_05, 1.5.0_06, and 1.4.2_04. It looks as thogh all 3 are not able to coexist and run at the same time. I had to disable the 1.4 platform. Another weird thing, I removed the 1.4 platform, and the PC would not reboot. It seems like it physically has to be there, but it will only work if it is disabled. I think it is time to create a new image with a fresh install of Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom