PC Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
If CRTs are the big thick monitors what are the thin ones called? I thought that the thin ones were called TFTs but I am wrong. Circuit City uses the term LCD to refer to the thin monitors. I thought that the term LCD referred to Liquid Crystal Display and could refer to CRTs as well as the thin ones. I thought that LCD is a method of displaying images on a monitor, I'm confused.

LCD is Liquid Crystal Display and I'm pretty sure almost ALL LCD's are flat panel (thin ones). TFT is actually a display technology used with LCD screens also known as Active Matrix.

TFT-based displays have a transistor for each pixel on the screen. This allows the electrical current that illuminates the display to be turned on and off at a faster rate which makes the display brighter and shows motion smoother. LCDs that use TFT technology are called "active-matrix" displays which are higher-quality than older "passive-matrix" displays. So if you ever see a TFTAMLCD monitor at a computer store it is a "thin-film transistor active-matrix liquid crystal display." That's just a fancy way of saying it is a good flat-screen display.

Hello,

CRT is Cathode Ray Tube. This tube is what is used in those "big, thick" monitors and can hold a charge well after they have been unplugged. That is why disposing of a CRT monitor is so tough. Cause any damage to the tube or any contact with it even after you have it off and unplugged for a period of time can result in death.

From Wikipedia:

High voltage

CRTs operate at very high voltages, which can persist long after the device containing the CRT has been switched off and/or unplugged. Residual charges of hundreds of volts can also remain in large capacitors in the power supply circuits of the device containing the CRT; these charges may persist. Modern circuits contain bleeder resistors, to ensure that the high-voltage supply is discharged to safe levels within a couple of minutes at most. These discharge devices can fail even on a modern unit and leave these high voltage charges present. The final anode connector on the bulb of the tube carries this high voltage.[.quote]

Cheers,
Mak

Well, the types of flatpanels around are: LCD, Plasma, and the still-in-development OLED. OLED is still isn't in as many things, but its mainly in phones/mp3 players as of right now. It's in development for monitors/TV's right now, trying to make the technology better for larger displays. OLED's only have to be a few millimeters thick, so they're much much thinner than an LCD or plasma display.

What name is given to the thin monitors if not all thin monitors are LCDs?

Almost all PC monitors that are thin are considered LCD. It is jsut as SurgeVel said. There are different types of LCD. TFT, XTFT among others are the types of LCD. But they are still LCD.

Cheers,
Mak

Excellent Mak, SurgeVal may have said it but for some reason I like the way you put it.

How does an LCD display images? I understand the concept behind a CRT.

Well, the types of flatpanels around are: LCD, Plasma, and the still-in-development OLED. OLED is still isn't in as many things, but its mainly in phones/mp3 players as of right now. It's in development for monitors/TV's right now, trying to make the technology better for larger displays. OLED's only have to be a few millimeters thick, so they're much much thinner than an LCD or plasma display.

those OLED'S are soo thin i was waching a review or tham on attack of the show the one thay had was the 11inch i think it was loke 2500 i think cant remember it was a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom