PC keeps resettings on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
Hi.

For some reason, my computer will not boot up. It gets to the screen that appears when you first switch your computer on (where it shows all your drives) but then it just hangs and resets after a few seconds. I can't even get into the boot select or BIOS.

It was working fine before I removed my DVD-RW drive.

I've looked inside and all the cables are connected up. I've even go as far as to change the IDE cables.

Please help :(

Remove the floppy disk from the drive :p As corny as it sounds i had the same problem over the weekend while trying to make a raid driver disk, look down, oops stupid floppy disk still inserted.

Unplug the power, open the case, remove the CMOS battery. Go watch some TV, eat a snack. Come back after about 10-15 minutes, put the battery back in, plug in the power, see what happens. Let us know how it went.

The CMOS battery, is what powers the motherboard BIOS. And it looks like a watch battery. It's on the motherboard, near the bottom right corner. You can't miss it.

You only have to remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds. 30 at most. There is barely any charge there that require waiting 15 minutes for it to reset.

Which also means that it could still be stored. A lot of newer mobo's have a jumper setting for the CMOS reset. Which need to be done instead of removing of hte battery.

So you should also check your mobo for small white writting by any jumpers to see if you ahve a CMOS reset jumper setting. If you do i would remove the battery. Put the jumper on the reset pins. Then put the jumper back to where it was and put the battery back. Then start the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom