PC can't recognize files on UDF disks

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

I'm trying to install my copy of Flight Simulator X onto my new PC with Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate (it was previously installed on my laptop). However, when I put in CD 1, the only file that comes up in my Explorer is a text file that says:

This disc contains a UDF file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 UDF file system specification.

I've been searching online for an answer to this for over an hour. I found a Microsoft KB article describing this problem (<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932849/en-us" target="_blank">Error messages when you try to install Flight Simulator X: &quot;This disc contains a &quot;UDF&quot; file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 &quot;UDF&quot; file system specification” and “Please insert the disc 2 in t...</a>) but their solution is to uninstall third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc creating programs, such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7. To the best of my knowledge, I have no such third-party programs installed. So far I have only installed: the drivers, iTunes, some games (Steam and other games), and a few utilities. I can provide a more complete list, if necessary.

I copied the contents of all the disks onto an external drive. From what I've read online I can install Flight Simulator X that way, but I'd hate to have to do that every time I try to use a UDF disk. I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance with this. Hopefully someone else has had this same issue and was able to find a resolution. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Last edited:
this is a long shot but might be worth it

click start
type msconfig
press enter
click diagnostic startup
click ok to msconfig
click ok to restart
try again

you could try creating another user account and trying again too. That's even more of a wild pitch though cus i think the 3rd party dvd programs would apply to the system instead of the user. in which case, you're prolly looking at having to reinstall windows. it sounds silly but i cant find how to rebuild the UDF association to windows. its a silly problem to begin with. you can read the files and save them to a hardrive but you cant read them into memory. hogwash. i wouldn't worry about this with many other games.

That is so weird - I booted into Diagnostic Mode. I tried to run the install disc and the installshield wizard started but gave me an error message:

1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

I rebooted into a Normal Startup and tried running the install disc again and it worked!! That is one of the strangest things I've seen. Hopefully this resolves the issue for any other discs that use the UDF file system (BluRay??). I'll run through the install and post back here if I have any problems. Thank you office politics!

Back
Top Bottom