Patitioning Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumburg

Solid State Member
With your help, I solved the master/slave problem of my drives, but now i got another problem.

When i installed windows, I did the partitioning on my HD to 10 gb. Following the online site that helped me install windows.

But thats all i did. Now that i finished installing windows, windows only thinks that my 320 gb HD is only 10 GB.... how can i correct that?

goto control panel-->administrative tools-->computer managment-->disk managment , from there youll be able to create extra partition/s from the unpartitioned space

but make sure you have service pack 1 or 2 installed before going for it

thanks Jeremy,

just 1 more question. It asks if I want to make my free space a Primary or extended Partition, which one should i use, since I only have this 1 Hard Drive and 10gb of it has been partitioned for windows. Id like the other 310gb for installing applications (e.g games and music)

thanks in advance

basicly primary partitions are intended for installing operating system (you cant install an operating system on an extended partition) , extended partitions are intended for data storage so select extended

awesome, i just made it into a extended partition. it was pretty quick infact... just 1 click and bam, green. haha
thanks again jeremy.

oh, 1 more question. now that i extended it... how come the extra 300 gb doesnt show up when i check the free space of the c: drive?

also, i wanna know why computer automatically lhas my hd drive listed in "safely remove hardware" its connected via SATA.

whats a logical drive?

Okay that was a good bit of advice but it doesnt show up under your C: drive since it is not a part of your C: drive. You have to format the partition in order to get it to show up.

Why you PC has your SATA as a removable device i dont know. I have 2 SATA HDD installed and neither one is listed. I think it might have something to do with the partition you just created.

Definitions of Logical Drive on the Web:

The partitioning or division of a large hard drive into smaller units. A single, large Physical Drive can be partitioned into two or more smaller Logical Drives.
www.pccomputernotes.com/pcterms/glossaryl.htm

The internal division of a large hard disk into smaller units. One single physical drive may be organized into several logical drives for convenience; DOS supports up to 23 logical drives on a system. On a single-floppy system, the disk drive can function as both logical drive A and logical drive B, depending on the exact circumstances.
www.angelfire.com/ny3/diGi8tech/LGlossary.html

Disk storage on a network server, represented logically by a name or letter to facilitate access from user workstations. The drive does not physically exist, but is treated as though it does.
www.courts.state.ny.us/ad4/lib/gloss.html

A disk drive that the operating system (OS) recognizes.
www.satellite-tv-hq.com/telecom-glossary-l.htm

In computer engineering, hard disk drive partitioning is the creation of logical divisions upon a hard disk that allows one to apply operating system-specific logical formatting.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_drive

I have another way around this but it is long and drawn out. It will allow you to create more partitions but it does involve some work.

1) as you might alredy know hd's come out of the factory without any partitions , you can have 1 partiton using all the available space or 2 or more partitions, you choosed to make more then 1 partition cuz you puted only 10gb when you created the first partition , and as alredy said by Makaveli213 its not a part of your c: cuz its another partition , anyway believe me its better this way put your important data on d:\ and when your windows will go bad and youll need to format your main partition (c:) you wont loose any data thats on the d:

2) its normal ,sata drives are hot plugable however you can hide the icon to do so go to start-->settings-->taskbar and start menu
tick "hide inactive icons" and click "customize" find "safely remove hardware" and set it to "always hide"

3) heres another definition http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/logical_drive.html

ok, i think i solved my problem. i extended the rest of the 300 gb and i made a logical drive from that 300 into my E: drive, im currently formating it, so i think i got it! thanks again guys. :D

ok

sorry for the double post, but i ran into anotehr problem.

i extended and made the extended 300 gb of my HD into logical so i can install my games/music into that "E:" drive instead of my partitioned "C:" drive.

but when i tried to select the E: drive for installation of Battlefield 2, the installer told me that it was unsafe, so i opted to then install it in my C: drive...

now i just tried to move all my BF2 files to my e: drive manually. I did so. Now i moved the patch to the e: drive too and tried to install the patch, but it told me that I have too little memory for it, like i need 2000 mb to do it, but the drive is over 250gb!! what gives?

thats ridicules ,what was the exact message do you recall?
anyway i suggest youll move it back to where it was and uninstall and reinstall on the e: drive its not only files it also uses the registry and it might have something to do with that error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom