Password Protection - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Default Password Protection

Hello

I'm currently using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on all networked users in my house. I want to add password protection to certain shared folders to make them private, so that not all documents can be viewed by other people. Is this possible to do so? I don't mind if it is hard, but I need step-by-step instructions.

Thankyou SOOO much,
Michael
__________________

mnmmichael is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 808
Default Re: Password Protection

Quote:
Originally posted by mnmmichael
Hello

I'm currently using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on all networked users in my house. I want to add password protection to certain shared folders to make them private, so that not all documents can be viewed by other people. Is this possible to do so? I don't mind if it is hard, but I need step-by-step instructions.

Thankyou SOOO much,
Michael
shared and private!?
__________________

derrmc is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Yes. I know it sounds weird.

What I want to do is share my "My Documents" folder so that I can access it from any of the computers in my house. However, I also want it to be password-protected so that only I can access it when I'm at the other computers.
mnmmichael is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Default

More Info:

I don't know if this helps at all, but all computers have exactly the same user names and passwords for their user accounts.
mnmmichael is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mnmmichael
Yes. I know it sounds weird.

What I want to do is share my "My Documents" folder so that I can access it from any of the computers in my house. However, I also want it to be password-protected so that only I can access it when I'm at the other computers.
turn on guest accounts, login as administrator when you are on it.
derrmc is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Couldn't I just make it so that when you try to open specific folders, a password dialouge box pops up?
mnmmichael is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mnmmichael
Couldn't I just make it so that when you try to open specific folders, a password dialouge box pops up?
not that i know of
derrmc is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Compress the files and then in the file directory click add a password.
JWITTEA is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default

Instead of mapping each hard drive to the other pc, what you can do is access it from the run box or explorer, example, \\coolermaster\my documents etc.
__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,339
Default

http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Encrypt
__________________

__________________
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Tyler1989 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.