Password Protect Printer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Gizzard1200 Send a message via Yahoo to Gizzard1200
Question Password Protect Printer

Is there anyway to make users enter a password to print to a network printer. Here is the situation: I have about 14 computers on a network all connected via a switch. This is a public library. 8 of the 14 pcs are either windows xp pro or 2000. We currently have 3 network printers 2 color 1 black and white. The black and white is an hp something or other laser printer and is a network printer available to library patrons. Both colored printers are network printers one is hp one is konica minolta. Is there anyway for me to allow patrons access to one of the 2 colored printers with a password. In other words: They find the color printer they click on the printer then click print and the computer prompts them for a password. What would also be excelent is if anybody is knows freeware that would printer the computer name on the bottom of the page with the cost of the print----that is extra I am far more concerned about the ability to password protect the use of a network color printer. PS Please dont respond with the idea of unplugging it or taking the cord or taking the toner because that is simply not an option. I would also be interested in setting up profile restrictions in windows xp and windows 2000 i.e patrons may not right click or open the hard drive folder or use certain programs---again not my main concern just trying to post all of my questions with one post. Ok for the last and final time does any body know how to password protect a konica minolta network printer for patron computers only or for staff or both. All help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Password Protect Printer

Goto: Printer Password Software for Windows PCs - Download Now

They have a small utility that will do it..

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Password Protect Printer

This topic is just shy of 2 years old. I am sure that they have found a solution in the 21 months that it has been since they posted this.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread