password protect network files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
Is there any way to apply a password to your computer so that only certain people can view the shared files?

I don't know, but one person on my network has a password when you click on his computer

He's has the Guest account disable over the network. That's why Justo/guest is the local account on Justo's computer. XP uses the Guest account by default for file sharing. So that's what your computer is trying to do is login using the Guest account on Justo's computer.

You both need to disable the Guest account in Computer management for 2000 Pro and XP Pro, XP Home users can't, they need to execute a command.

Open up command prompt, type net user guest

If it says Account active Yes

You want to disable it with the command net user guest /active:no

my computer requires you to type in a password before accessing a share. I forgot how I enabled it but I know you can.

His guest account was off, also he just came to me like an hour ago complaining his internet didn't work so i went down there and fixed it now the password is gone and I can see the files.

mikee said:
His guest account was off, also he just came to me like an hour ago complaining his internet didn't work so i went down there and fixed it now the password is gone and I can see the files.

Yea if you just enable the Guest account in Computer Management it will fix your file sharing problem and that password prompt. But I thought you wanted to put a password on your shares and do the opposite?

I asked the guy who owned the computer and he didnt know about the password but I have passwords on some of my things now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom