Password Protect a Folder on a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
This is my current setup while looking @ through another computer. IE - \\authority this is what they get...

http://ourworld.cs.com/StrothmaN18/ServerSS.JPG

Say I want to, password protect the.... "Documents" folder,, how would I make it to where they can see it and everything but if they doulble click on it, it will ask them for Password, or USERNAME/PW.. How can I do this? This would be excellent, any help is appreciated. I'm using Windows XP PRO. Just with standard file sharing or w/e... Thats how it looks... Again here.

ServerSS.JPG

Thanks for all the "DETAILS" lol. Sorry but, I dunno what ACL is... I am n00b out the butt when it comes to Networking... ACL = isn't that something behind your knee? l0lz.

no worries. ACL is Access Control List.

On your shared folder, you need to right click and select Properties.
Once in properties, access the Security tab on top.
You will see groups : Administrators, Everyone... etc. If you remove the Everyone group, they will need to be assigned to another security group in order to have access to that folder. Ergo : If they don't have permissions they need to enter a username and password... sorry I rushed this... I am pretty busy here at work.

I C, its coo.... Well, guess what, I don't have a "Security Tab" on my properties... I have a General, Sharing, and Customize.... I'm running XP PRO ... Should this be displaying or wtf? lol... Cuz I definetly don't have it... And if they don't need permission and u said they need username and pass. How could I create username and pass to use.?

You have simple file sharing enabled then... Are you on a domain environment?

Anyway... you can click on the "Permissions" button in the middle... This will show you the ACL (Access Control List). Make sure there is atleast an "Administrator" group in the ACL prior to removing the "Everyone" group... If you remove the everyone group and there are no more groups, YOU will lose access to this folder.

Make sure you set the file permissions in the sharing properties, not the actual NTFS permissions (the one you want opens in a new window)

I'm lost. How do I change from simple... to "Advanced" ?? I'm guessing,,, all I want is a simple username and password to ask people when they get into my folder. I'm the main dude for the network. Its my home network but I have buds come over alot... I have the switch and everything in my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom