password problem when tring accessing the safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

fibola

Solid State Member
today i wanted to run my leptop in a safe mode , so i entered the msconfig and in the boot ini menu chose a safemode .
i restart the pc and when i got to the safe mode it asked me for a password , now when i restart the pc in normal mode i have this small disk-on-key that i need to connect in the usb and enter the password . its call etoken .
now i dont know if this is the same password or not but it doesnt work for me at the safe mode .
i thought about 2 thing :
1. the pc ask the password but at the safe mode something at the etoken software didnt loaded up so the password is useless .
2. this is other kind of password , like administrator pass.

anyway i dont know what to do and i cant exit this safe mode even if i restart or shuting down the pc because the safe mode is from the msconfig and not thtough the F8 key.

pressing the F8 while restarting and choose normal mode is useless

please help me , i realy dont want to format the pc.

Safe mode bypass. Consider a very large enterprise that's frequently targeted by competitive intelligence spies. If these spies get hold of a senior executive's laptop with strategically important data, how difficult would it be for them to boot the machine without the USB token? As it turns out, it would be child's play--with the exception of the Griffin Technologies offering. Why? Because the spy could boot up in safe mode, completely bypassing the token and its software to access the hard drive.

The vendors say enterprises that employ file and folder encryption products or PKI solutions won't have this problem. That's reasonable if encryption and PKI are already part of the enterprise security strategy.

But, even in that case, what's really providing the protection? It's the encryption and/or PKI, not the token/software, which begs the question: Do token products provide any value beyond convenient storage of application/Web credentials? The network logon component certainly isn't providing an additional layer of security, and, if a bad guy can crack or steal the network password, he can boot in safe mode with network support and manually login to the network.

Given the advancement of today's programming technology, it should be easy to build a mechanism that prevents or controls authenticated access via safe mode--Griffin Technologies has already proven that it can be done.

If and when these security flaws are addressed, you will be able to judge the products on their merits--ease of installation and configuration, administration and the range of features they support (see "USB Token Features").

I took that from there site. I would sign on using the admin account.

thats the problem there isnt any admin pass , i talk to the guy who install the windows and he said there is none .
i tried somethign lik admin or administrator but nothing worked.

If the guy you talked to DID install windows than he must have entered an admin pass. If he didn't then the password should, by default, be nothing.... press enter.

Which windows is it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom