Password Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrowinski

Baseband Member
Hi.
I have set password restrictions on the network so that users must change thier password after 30days.
After 15 days they recieve a message saying that thier password will expire in 15days. How can I change it so that they only receive that message with 3days to go?
Thanks
Hermann

the message happens when users log in to the network & it says "You password expires in 15 days would you like to change it now"

I'm using server 2003 and set the password policy in domain security policy.
I've set the maximum age to 30 days and minimum to 1 day.

All client machines are XP and 2000 Pro

Change the timing of the password-expires message in Windows
by Jason Hiner MCSE, CCNA | Published: 1/13/05

BFilmFan posted, "In a Windows 2000 or 2003 domain, this is contained in the GPO setting: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Interactive Logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration. The setting should be the number of days before the password expires in which you want the user to be warned. In the event the policy is not set by a GPO in the domain, it may be found on the local system's GPO."

Then, gary@gdwnet.com added, "Another option is to change the password expiry warning registry key. Here is a link for information on this process." The following steps are based on the instructions provided in that link:

Open the Windows registry.
Create or modify the key: PasswordExpiryWarning" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
Enter the value (number of days before password expires that you want to notify users) and click the appropriate decimal or hexadecimal radio button (for example, e in hexadecimal equals 14 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom