Partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

railmaster7

Baseband Member
im buying 2 HDs for my new computer.

Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

and im wondering if I should (for best performance) install Windows on a partition on the 80gb then have the rest of the 80 for apps and the 250gb for games and media? or is there some other config thats better. thanks.

Yes, good config. You could also add 2 extra small partitions on each drive with very important files, so if one disk fails you still have your stuff.

Caviar RE = Raid Edition , not sure how well it will work standalone , better take the SE16 instead

Could you do something like putting two 80gigs in RAID 0, but set aside a Windows partition....so that periodically you could reinstall windows without losing all of your data? Would that work with raid0?

i think you can reinstall windows w/o losing data if you dont reformat your drives.

alright whats are some pros and cons for
SATA 3Gg/s
Serial ATA150
and IDE Ultra ATA100
my motherboard has to support those in order to use them?

my mother board has 6 SATA 3Gb/s
MSI K8N Diamond Plus Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard
so does that mean i can only have a total of 6 HDs and optical drives. or do optical use diff.

some optical drives say their interface is IDE/ATAPI while some are IDE. do i have to worry about it not working on my motherboard?

I will use a 30 gig partition for windows, then 220 for my documents. then I would use the other hdd for backup files and video.

if you can, don't buy western digital hdds. every computer that I have fixed because of a bad hdd, they had a western digital hdd in it.

never use raid 0 for a computer for home use. you will wake up one day to 2 dead hdds. the little speed boost that you get ain't worth it

what would you suggest for some harddrives for my motherboard

MSI K8N Diamond Plus Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard

because im not sure what it supports as far as SATA 3gb/s, ATA100 and w/e

7200rmp 250gb around or under $100 and 80gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom