Partitions

Guys, I cant even get my laptop to read my win 10 pro dvd, gparted live cd so I give up. I once got it to the point where it said use this cd or dvd to boot from by hitting any key. I did just that and it went to my 8.1 desktop. What a PITA.

Hi I guess you're saying your PC won't boot from a live CD. That's a whole new ball game. Will your DVD drive read other DVD's. If you burn a memtest86+, can you boot with that??
You need to make sure your DVD drive will read a live DVD/CD IMHO! This is a all new stuff.
Gary!
OOPS I forgot I'm supposed to be just observing !!

Ok, using usb option is working but when I get to use the freed up partition which is 210 GB and formatted i get the following msg 'setup unable to use the existing partition cause the system volume does not contain the required free space'?

I have never dealt with a pc that has this many issues trying to set up a dual boot. It is such a PITA.

thx

Sounds like it's because it's trying to use the 100mb partition, which isn't big enough for the dual-boot config (for some reason).

using the 210 gb partition.

So you made the new partition, formatted it and made active? When you boot into win 8.1 do you see the 210gb part, if you try to open it, does it ask to be formatted? If you can open the part then let's move onto the next step.

Boot the win10 USB, when you choose which partition to use, you select the 210gb? Then it says it does not have enough space? Or that it cannot use this partition?

using the 210 gb partition.
I understand which partition you're selecting - but that's not what it's talking about. The error is in reference to the system volume, which would be the bootloader partition. And since you have a 100mb and a 300mb...it's probably trying to default to the 100mb partition which apparently isn't large enough.

IMO, I'd either make one of those partitions larger, or blow both partitions away, and then recreate the bootloader using one of these methods:
https://tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Boot the win10 USB, when you choose which partition to use, you select the 210gb? Then it says it does not have enough space? Or that it cannot use this partition?

The error message he's receiving is: setup unable to use the existing partition cause the system volume does not contain the required free space

Which is in reference to the system/boot partition.

I just want him to confirm he has done all these steps.. :cool: can't see how the win10 install will pick the 100mb part when he selects the 210gb part... That never happens! So want him to confirm the win10 set up steps. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom