partitioning preferences-how much disk to give? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to blankbandit
Default partitioning preferences-how much disk to give?

i heard that giving your program files a separate partition on the disk and the windows files on another partition is ideal. is this true and how much disk space should you give for windows os files and how much for other programs and such
thanx

Old 05-20-2004, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I have seen no benefit with this. I prefer partitioning based on media. So Programs and OS on one partition, movies on another, and mp3s on a third. Then if you do things like digital video etc. In the end it's all about orginization.
You may see a small performance boost if you install your programs to another hard drive (not partition) than the operating system however partitioning is basically for your orginization IMO.

But... if you would like to do this, I'd say give windows 5 gb (10 if you are feeling generous ) that should be plenty. The rest can go to your applications.

</form>
Old 05-20-2004, 03:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

depending if you play games or not the size would be from 5-25GB. on average 10-15GB is okay. the rest of the space is than allocated to a volume to store just data. the reason why having 2 partitions/drives is better is because if the operating system gets messed up you can restore it without losing your data from formatting.

personnally i have on my main computer:
20GB (play moderate gaming) primary NTFS

80GB totally encrypted NTFS

12GB hidden NTFS. (used to store Ghost images. i can restore my 9GB worth of winXP /w all games & softwares in less than 10 minutes)
Old 05-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

sounds good...thanks for the imput
Old 05-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

OH...OH! one more question....say i have all my crap installed on my c drive already. programs, os, and all. i have plenty of unallocated space that i can format. can i just drag my programs folder to this new partition just like that or is it more complicated than that?
thanks again
Old 05-24-2004, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

its more complicated than that. to save your installed applications and restore everything exactly the way it is if your computer crashes on you than you will need norton Ghost or partitionquest driveImage. these are called disk imaging programs for OS/software backup.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

just by another hardrive
Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

there is something i read about performance about where the partition is located, its either better to have it at the very inside of the drive or very outside i cant remember which, i think they were talking about page file location, but for programs and the windows folder i would want them in the fastest place on my hdd too even tho im sure its minute performance gain, every little bit helps, somebody want to elaborate on this if theyve heard or kno what im talking about.

MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Closed Thread