Partitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunnoe

Baseband Member
Does any one know of a free partitioning program i can use to make another partition on my hard drive without having to re format?

I'm trying to put linux on my system alongside of winxp for the first time and i only have one big partition.

After two hours of downloading the demo of partition magic I find out it doesn't actually do anything...:confused: (that'd cost like 70$)

I just reformatted like 3 days ago and just finished re-downloading everything i need (on dial-up!)and got my computer running the way i like, and i'd rather not have to re format again if i don't have to.

Thank you for any help...

Isn't there an option to manage the partitions during the install?

What Linux distro are you trying to install?

-Silent Fear

Silent_Fear said:
Isn't there an option to manage the partitions during the install?

Ontop of that, you can run F-Disk and manage all your partitions through MS-DOS.

the demo just shows you how the program 'would' work should you buy it, it doesn't actually do anything unless you pay.

yes, you can make partitions during an install but that would wipe everything on the current one, i'd like to not have to re-do everything that i've just done for the past 3 days.

I got a linux book that came with the newest fedora core and some other progs.

anyone know of a (free) program that can change partitions without wiping the hard drive or should i just start formatting now?

I think it wont let you make a new partition without deleting the existing one in F-Disk... thats what he means i think...
Well if you dont find out how to do that you'll have to reformat your drive and when installing windows split your current partition (meaning delete the existing one and make 2 new ones)...

There are some free partitioning tools around...I dunno their names.. do a google.

Though some of them are dangerous... some simply "cut" away a piece of your partition and data-loss can ocurr. I would use partition magic... its the best program for partitioning....

PartitionMagic is definitely worth buying if you wanna partition your hard drive. However, you must make sure you back up everything before you begin, because it's not perfect, and things can go wrong. Also make sure you create a swap partition for Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom