Partition for XP Pro x64 - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Ok my second hdd is the bigger one, it has XP home already on it and my other hdd (first one) is the one i want blank. I have my mobo cd so i wont need to back any of that up. already moved data from first hdd to the second one.

So when i reboot my pc and have the x64 cd in there do i just go to install on c:\ ? (which is the first one) will this format it itself? why would i have to delete any partitions on it? there arent any there. apart from that little 8mb bit. and my second hdd will be fine from this ? (one with all data on it)

from the last link you gave me, it says how to install a second OS on the same hdd as the first OS. cant i just use this method? will it be better to have it on the other hdd?

(sorry for lack of knowledge on this)

Thanks

Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

in reality you only need a 15-30 gig partition to run xp. in reality the bigger hdd should alway be the second drive set as my documents.

this way if you ever catch a virus you can reinstall xp without losing your data (it is fairy easy to replace xp. it isn't easy to replace your precious data)

what size are your hdds, anyway?

you need to delete the whole partition on the 1st hard drive so that you can create 2 or more partitions on it (that is what you were try to do in the first place). it is easy to delete and create partition in dos (booting from a cd) than it is in windows (partition magic's way)

Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Ok i get it now. I have a 40 gb hdd and a 250gb one. I going to use the method from the link you gave me and sort it out when i have a bit more time on my hands.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentali$T
Ok i get it now. I have a 40 gb hdd and a 250gb one. I going to use the method from the link you gave me and sort it out when i have a bit more time on my hands.

Thanks a lot.
no problem

use the 40 and make 2 partitons

if my memory serve me right on the partition screen it should look somehing like this

1st partition = 18154 mb
2nd partition = 20003 mb

this is how I always partition a 40 gig hdd with the windows cd

use the 250 for storage

edit. notice that I have a 40 running window (I usually run it triple boot, 1 media center, 1 64 bit windows and 1 xp home sp1. I am in the process of putting xandros on the unpartitioned 20 gig spot) and I use 2 200's and and 2 160's sata drive for storage

Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Cool thanks a lot

Closed Thread