Partition for XP Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Hi i want to make a partition on my hdd so i can install XP Pro x64 on it without losing any of my data. I have partition magic but am not too sure how to use it. When i select instal another operating system it comes up with the wizard but i dont know how to change it from C drive to D drive. I want the partition on D drive. Anyone can help me?

Thanks

I have just seen that next to the option to install xp pro it has an asterix which means it will only install on disk 1 how do i change it so it will allow me to install it onto my other hdd?
Im sure i have the jumpers on my hdd set so the hdd i want to install this on is the master.
Cheers

Delete it!! I cant do that it has lots of important stuff on there like my coursework. If i took out the C drive and just had the D drive in there would that work?

shrink the partition, and then make another partition in the free space. then install xp64 in it, with a regular xp install, not through partition magic. i am not sure how to set up the bootloader then though. either do the windows one, or is that the idea with installing it through PM?

i would just put a simple linux distro on, and use GRUB to tri boot them...

use partition magic to create a new partition (by taking space from c or d, whichever has the available space), then delete the extra partition after it had been created like this

x64pm.jpg

joshd said:
shrink the partition, and then make another partition in the free space. then install xp64 in it, with a regular xp install, not through partition magic. i am not sure how to set up the bootloader then though. either do the windows one, or is that the idea with installing it through PM?

i would just put a simple linux distro on, and use GRUB to tri boot them...

Pm will run it as a dual boot, meaning that it will hide one os when the other is running. I prefer it this way as each os get to keep C as it's OS drive and you can't accidently erase another OS

what if you want to access files on the other OS? can you make it only hide the OS files, but not the documents?

ok so ill create a new partition in d drive. do u know how big it should b? when i hav created the partition do i then go to instal new os and use that partition? thats a good question, i dont really want to hav 2 lots of everything on one hdd. is there a way?

I just had a thought, would i be able to boot from the cd (without making any partitions) then when i get to the bit asking whether i want to create or delete any partitions, go to create new partition and install it on that? After that it says format new partition, will this delete anything on my hdd? I will back up the important stuff anyway.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom