Partition questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I just got a 250 gig HD for my system. My current drive is 80 gig, with a 20 gig Windows partition and the remainder as other stuff.

What I want to do it to move the second partition to the new drive, and have it take up most of it. I want to put in a 10 gig partition for my music, maybe that should be 20. :)

I want to take my original disk and expand the 20 gig to the whole disk.

I have an old copy of Ghost... somewhere. I am currently downloading Hiren's Boot CD. Which of these tools would be best for what I want to do? Remeber, I am not moving my Windows partition, just expanding it.

I use this at work on the desktops and servers. I actually used it to because one of the servers was running out of room. It was only 10gb and there was 400gb on the next drive. So I used partition commander to add more space to the local disk from the other huge hard drive.

Partition Commander Review & Award - V-Com

you can do it within window although cloning it through the hiren boot cd would be faster.

go to admin tools, comp. management. right click the empty drive and make 2-3 partitions. like maybe 200 for documents then 50 for music. format them.

now hit start and right click my documents and select properties. click the move option. when it ask to move your documents select yes.

I would personally copy and paste the items over to the new drive then delete the old data, then move the documents location. if something crazy happen during cut and paste, you can possibly lose data. if the same thing happen during copy and paste. you just restart the copying process

you can use the drive image or ghost option on the cd too, but most people ghost OS partitions, not document ones

finally, I would make my windows partition 40 gigs (38154 mb) and that would
leave me with an extra 40 gigs to use for something else like another OS. you will need partition magic for that if you want keep your current version of windows

yeah but backup **** first, i used PM8 to do this before and it ended up corrupting the whole disks data >.<

It's not just documents I have to move. I have programs installed on D:, as well as a bunch of data. I need to rename D: to E: or something... I have drives through G, but E: is my burner and F & G are mounted images. I guess I could go with H:, but I have to figure it all out first.

Somehow I seem to make things more complicated...

OK, what's going on with this...

I finally got around to putting the new drive in (only took a month). Anyway, hiren's didn't want to boot, and ghost didn't seem like a good choice. Acronis wants to copy the whole disk. i ended up using partition Magic and am copying my D: partition over right now (I'm on the wife's computer).

My question right now is how do I go about renaming drives? I will need to rename the current G: to D: (new copy to replace old one), and I want to move my optical and removable drives to the end (say, Z: and T: ). I know PM can remap drives, but what do I need to rename them?

*EDIT* I got the logical drives renamed and everything worked. Partition Magic has an option for it, so I renamed the old D: to H: and then new copy G: to D:. Geez, I've rebooted my rig more today than I have in six months.

I still need to know how to rename my opticals/removables, though.

OK, what's going on with this...

I finally got around to putting the new drive in (only took a month). Anyway, hiren's didn't want to boot, and ghost didn't seem like a good choice. Acronis wants to copy the whole disk. i ended up using partition Magic and am copying my D: partition over right now (I'm on the wife's computer).

My question right now is how do I go about renaming drives? I will need to rename the current G: to D: (new copy to replace old one), and I want to move my optical and removable drives to the end (say, Z: and T: ). I know PM can remap drives, but what do I need to rename them?

*EDIT* I got the logical drives renamed and everything worked. Partition Magic has an option for it, so I renamed the old D: to H: and then new copy G: to D:. Geez, I've rebooted my rig more today than I have in six months.

I still need to know how to rename my opticals/removables, though.

I don't know how to rename roms, but computer management can also change your drive location letter. it's what I use after a reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom