Partition question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
When you first put an OS or OS's on your computer, how do you partition off your HD (s)? What is the best way to set it up? Where do you put certain things such as music, movies, software, programs...etc?

thx

There will be a stage in the OS setup that will guide you through partitioning your drive. The best way to set it up depends on your needs but a small OS partition and a large data partition with directories for the different types of file eg music, docs etc is a good choice for most.

I usually just use GParted. Even with the tools given by Microsoft on Windows install disk's i have found the LiveCD of GParted is way better. I just boot with that, setup my drives, then format them to what ever is needed. Then instert the appropriate Windows disk and install the OS.

I usually just use GParted. Even with the tools given by Microsoft on Windows install disk's i have found the LiveCD of GParted is way better. I just boot with that, setup my drives, then format them to what ever is needed. Then instert the appropriate Windows disk and install the OS.

Mak,

How much space do you use for the OS? For XP Pro, Vista Home ultimate, Win 7 ultimate?

thx

Seconded. Using GParted is so much easier to work with since its more visual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom