partition problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz6215

Baseband Member
hi hope someone can help , i recently installed xp and installed the o/s on a 2 gig partition (c) drive, this gave me another partition called (e) where i was going to install my file and downloads, the problem is windows installer wants to wownload everything into c: and now this partition is full! i have since made the disk dynamic hoping that would solve it but it didnt work. i would be very gratefull if someone could help with this as i am now unable to install anything due to lack of disk space
cheers !

the hdd is 300 gig i have 279 available space on other partition which i cant install on! :-(

You have to move your My Documents folder and all your settings to the other partition. Till you do all your temp files and everything will go on the C:\ drive and fill it up fast. But honestly you should have at least 10GB for XP. All the applications you install and everything else would be better off on the same drive. :S

Yeap, you should have at least 10 gigs for xp, 20 recommended and 40gigs for Vista, youy could stay with the two gigs, however, you'll have not only to move your documents to the other parttion, but also not to install anything on that partiton and move your temporary folder to the other partition, to do that you can go : Right click at my computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Enviroment Variables, there is shown the location of the temporary folder, you can modify it, by clickng edit.

re dimension your partition. use partition magic or a similar app. it re dimensions your partition without loosing data.

hi guys thx for all the help i have since bought a second drive transfered all my stuff over then reinstalled on the original drive, cost me the price of a drive so i wont be making that mistake again lol
cheers daz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom