Partition problem before installing Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redvers

Baseband Member
Hi,
I want to install Windows 7 but am having a problem creating a partition. My main drive is a 400GB Hitachi Deskstar. Ever since I got it, Windows XP has only recognised 127GB. I have installed EASEUS Partition Master and it tells me that the the other 244.62GB is unallocated. I have tried to create a partition on this space but it fails every time. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Red

I am on SP3. Automatic updates are on. I have latest everything from Microsoft.

Then you must have installed XP using only SP1. Cause XP SP2 and beyond have the patch to allow the system to use drives larger than 137GB. That was a limit imposed upon XP pre-SP2.

So the system should show a unallocated space drive in the disk management.

Start>Right click My Computer>Manage

there select on the left side Disk Management. If it shows unpartition or unallocated space you can just right click and create a new partition for Win7.

Have you tried to set it up using disk management. allocate the space, set up the partition and format?

If not just use gparted.

I did install with SP1 and then updated with SP2 and then SP3 when that became available. I have tried Disk Management and creating a new partition. The space is described as Unallocated. I get this message -

Logical Disk Manager
The disk configuration operation did not complete. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Verify the status of your storage devices before retrying. If that does not solve the problem, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

I have tried all of the above. I have tried disk managment software. i did download GParted but have not been able to install it. Not sure why. maybe I am doing somethig wrong but I can't find a Setup file.

Burnt the ISO disc and restarted pc. Program runs fine but then screen goes funny with partial letters. Looks like it is frozen at that point. Is that normal and do I have to wait a long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom