Partition and OS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxBoBxX

Baseband Member
First is there a way to partition a drive with out having to format it?
Next if there is, Can i install a 2nd instance of XP on that partition?

My wants. I play battlefield 2 which is a good game released too early for its own good. It is very sensitive and tends to eat its self alive if there are other programs running. So i want to create a clean partition with just windows, drivers, and BF2. But i i don't want to have to format my entire drive. I have two 60 gig maxtor drives both have about 25 gigs free. If i have to i can format the other drive, but would that drive allow me to boot from it?

well any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

How is your partition set up. Do you have the first physical drive call C: as the primary partition then the second physical hard drive as extended/logical call D:?

You can use Fdisk to create another Primary Partition, then set it active and install XP on it. You won't have to format your other XP partition. Then I guess you'll need to edit the bootini file depending on where you put the partition on which physical HD in order to dual boot.

I currently have two physical drives and no partitions. My XP is on C: and my second drive is I: . Willl these programs allow me to add a second bootable version of windows?

Partition Magic will help you add another OS but you'll have to paid for the software. If you know how to use Fdisk or can find a free utility that you can use to create another primary paritition. That is all you really need.

Partition Magic let you create the partition without you losing data. use it to make you a 5-10 gig partition just for that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom