Partition Magic Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fox

In Runtime
A friend of mine dropped of a new hard drive on me he was trying to resize with partition magic 8.0 The deal is, it's an 80gb drive, was first recognized as 74.5 he said. He tried to set a partition, and now the drive is only recognized as 32.6gb. So, somewhere down the process of trying, he has done I don't know what to it, as I can pull the partitions, but still only see the 32.6gb ..
So how can I get it back to the full 74.5gb?
I have tried pulling his parititons off, and it just sits at 32. Fdisk will delelte the parition, but it too only sees 32. When I look at it in partition magic, it has an 8mb section as primary which I can del, but it doesn't do much other than that. So I'm stumped as to what to do next ..
It's set as fat 32 if that matters much.

~ Fawks

Check the jumper settings on the drive they might be set to a max capasity of 32 gigs. Maybe he set that. Just remove them all and then set it to slave/master as you see fit.

If it's a blank drive with no data I would Write the drive back to zero's with a manufacturer disk and try again that should resolve the issue if it isn't the jumper settings.

There are alot of variables I could run down if it has data but since your fdisking and deleting partitions I assume it is blank.

Also check when your PC first boots and detects what size does it say there?

Yeah it's set to slave, has been since the start. The disk is blank, I'm just trying to figure out how he lost half of it.
Will do a quick boot here and see what bios says ..

~ Fawks

Ok, Definately write the entire disk back o Zero's there is no telling what was done to i before you got it and this is a quick way to solve it. Remember notjust format use a manufacturer disk or similiar boot program and write it Zero's this will erase all partitions and anything else done.

What brand of drive is it? Ideally I would get it from the manufacturer website I know others like ZIP but it may damage your drive I cant gaurentee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom