Partition Magic 8 error

Status
Not open for further replies.
mfaerber said:
Ahh, OK, that doesn't really suprise me.

If it's going to nuke linux (i.e. GRUB and redhat), I'm OK with that, since I don't use redhat. You say that it's own bootloader is useless... aren't there other windows-based dual-boot programs out there, or am I really best served by downloading GRUB and some form of linux again?

Also, were you suggesting before that I have to re-install winME (which is what is there presently)? I don't have a winME cd and I don't want to loose anything on my system.

The Windows boot loader is useless because it only boots Windows, and it nukes and paves GRUB.

I don't like the nuke and pave procedure.

mfaerber said:
Alright, I found another method that appears to be a lot safer than what I was proposing at the start of this thread: I have created a bootable win2k CD ( http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297 ). The creation of the CD seemed to go well, and I have restarted the computer with the CD in it and it detected it correctly.

Now, after a couple of screens I am at the "Win2000 Pro Setup" screen. It says:
Code:
Welcome to Setup.
   This portion of the Setup program prepares MS2k to run on your computer.
      - to set up win2k now, press enter
      - to repair a win2k instal, press R
      - to quit setup w/o installing wink2, press F3

Now, I just want to make sure that if I press "enter", it does not actually instal win2k on my system, because that would defeat the point of the boot CD. I know it says "setup" and not "instal", but this process is new to me, so I just would like someone to confirm that this is normal for a boot CD and nothing will get installed or deleted.

The tutorial is about how to make a CD bootable. Not about making a "live" CD that runs Windows off the disc (I don't even know if that exists for Windows).

I have an English version of Win2k that's not bootable (it requires 4 floppy's to get to the setup screen, kinda like Win98) but I have a Dutch version of Win2k that is bootable.

mfaerber said:
Alright, I found another method that appears to be a lot safer than what I was proposing at the start of this thread: I have created a bootable win2k CD ( http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297 ). The creation of the CD seemed to go well, and I have restarted the computer with the CD in it and it detected it correctly.

Now, after a couple of screens I am at the "Win2000 Pro Setup" screen. It says:
Code:
Welcome to Setup.
   This portion of the Setup program prepares MS2k to run on your computer.
      - to set up win2k now, press enter
      - to repair a win2k instal, press R
      - to quit setup w/o installing wink2, press F3

Now, I just want to make sure that if I press "enter", it does not actually instal win2k on my system, because that would defeat the point of the boot CD. I know it says "setup" and not "instal", but this process is new to me, so I just would like someone to confirm that this is normal for a boot CD and nothing will get installed or deleted.

that's how 2000 start up. do you have an xp cd? I can show you an easier way

major, I have a live windows cd (bart, win pe cd with a ton of plugins)

Thank you everyone for your help! Consider this thread done, because everything went well, and all is good now.

I deleted the first partition I had made for fear that everything wasn't OK with it. I created a new partition, and that process went just swell. Then, I held my breath and installed win2k on the new partition. Now, this is what happens each time I turn on my computer: first, GRUB comes up with the same options as before (redhat or DOS). I choose DOS. Then, the win2k dual-boot screen comes up and asks me if i want to load win2k or winME. Both versions of windows work just dandy! Of course I had to reinstall drivers for the win2k boot, which was a pain, but I was lucky enough to set up my networking prefs correctly the first time.

So all is good, and that comp. now has 2 dual-boot screens. Crazy, eh? Someday I'll look into uninstalling everything related to linux, but I don't want to press my luck just yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom