Partition help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Partition help please. (updated)

Ok i've worked through this quite a ways. So far I have the original windows partition (C:/ 30GB) my storage partition (D:/ 800+gb) and the new windows partition (F:/ 80Gb)

I've used ghost to back up C drive.
I then used ghost to restore the C drive backup to F. Effectively copying C drive to the bigger partition.

Now the only problem, is C drive is still the boot drive, it has the pagefile and crashdump(?)

How do I make F the new boot drive and move the pagefile and crashdump to it? It won't let me rename C because it is the boot drive, so how can i make D the boot drive, recame C to F and F to C, then make the new C the boot drive (with pagefile/crashdump)

Then all i'd have to do is format the remaining new F drive and merge it with D and i'll be all set.

heeelp lol

Use Gparted. It is the best tool for this. Either that or you can use Acronis Disk Director. but that isnt free.

go to computer management and set the partition as active. it will hide the other c drive.

you can install partition magic and use pq boot for windows to boot it too

Re: Partition help please. Updated!

even with the drive set as active, nothing changes. C is still the system/boot/crash/page drive.

partitionmagic wont work with vista.

I'll check that out mak thanks.

seems gparted is bricked ill try acronis, hopefully it isnt too expensive.
lol seems acronis wont work either. something about unsigned drivers in this version of windows arent allowed.
Either way it wont run -.-

Doubleposting update.

So im doing a direct copy using ghost. When the copy is done. What would happen if I just set the F:\ to active boot and deleted the C:\ partition?

Would that force the F drive to take its place as the system/crashdump/pagefile/whateverelse volume?

I'm thinking if I can delete the partition entirely, i'd be able to rename F:\ to C since there would be no immediate system/boot/pagefile volume. Then maybe all that stuff would be created upon restart?

Or would this just frag the whole HD lol

Edit~ nevermind it wont even let me format C:\

I give up.

SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

Try that version of GParted. I have a couple of versions that worked jsut fine. All were bootable ISO's that i burned. So this is one of htem. It should work jsut fine to boot to and use.

ah ic. i thought livecd was somethign different ^_^ was getting the plain ol gparted. none of the files even had extentions on them heh. I'll give it a shot then nothin to lose. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom