Partition HDD for Dual Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmints

Baseband Member
I am running Windows XP and would like to run Linux on my computer as a dual boot system. I only have one hardrive so I know I have to partition it to make room for Linux, but I have not yet come across a tutorial that explains this process in enough detail. I am downloading the files needed to boot Linux, but I would like help when it comes to the partitioning. If anyone could help me or link me to a top notch tutorial it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

get partition magic. make a 20 gig partition for linux. pm will resize your windows partition. then use pm's "install another OS" feature

jrmints said:
I am running Windows XP and would like to run Linux on my computer as a dual boot system. I only have one hardrive so I know I have to partition it to make room for Linux, but I have not yet come across a tutorial that explains this process in enough detail. I am downloading the files needed to boot Linux, but I would like help when it comes to the partitioning. If anyone could help me or link me to a top notch tutorial it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Free partition program, it runs off a CD or a USB drive: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

and what linux distro are you going to use?

Yea, you'll only need the DVD iso. You will be fine as long as you don't format or install FC5 on the Windows partition. Make sure you partition first using gparted before installing FC5. Create another primary partition. Usually if you only have two partition and they are both primaries, depending if you have a IDE hard drive or SCSI/SATA. The partition will read hda for first IDE hard disk and sda for first SCSI/SATA disk, the letters after hd or sd like hdb means second IDE disk or sdb second SCSI/SATA disk.

The partition would look something like this on my machine for example

sda
sda1 WinXP
sda2 SUSE
sda3 FC5
sda4 Extented Part.
sda5 Win2003
sda6 WinVista

sdb
sdb1 Extended Part
sdb5 Backup Part.

That's why you should partition first and not let FC5 do it for you if you don't know what to do it might just overwrite your Windows partition. After you finish partitioning, make sure you can still boot into Windows before you begin the installation.

Heres a step by step for you http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom