partition containing XP, HELPP!!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy partition containing XP, HELPP!!!!

Hi, before i installed XP on my computer , i partitioned my C: into 2 partitioins, giving XP 2gb and the 2nd partition 8gb..

shortly after doing this, but not before i had re installed all of my programs, set up my drives and got the computer up and going... i realised that 2gb is far to small for XP to run on!!

i fort 2gb would be ok, so long as i set the virtual memory on another of me hard disks, turned off hibernate support and installed my programs and mydocuments on another drive, or in the 2nd partition.. But obv not!

i have installed Partition Magic 8 to make the 2nd partition smaller thus creating unpartitioned space, so as i can use this free space to increase my XP partition... but i cannot seem to re-size the XP part!?

i understand that there can be problems , where the file system has to be resized aswell otherwise XP ,even tho in a larger partition, will not read data outside its origional partition boundaries..

but surely there is a way? i dont want to have to re install XP again, as i would have to re-install everything and pritty much start from scratch!

can anyone help!?

Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

there should be a merge section in partition majic for this to happen, then you can merge the unused space to the C: drive

Old 10-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

yes, its just as well you have partition magic there as windows won't let you do anything with the boot/system partition, but partition magic certainly does.
Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 10-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nice one peeps!! it worked!! dam i wish i just asked on here in the 1st place, took me all day to get nowhere, and yet its only a 5 min job!!

thaxn peeps!
Closed Thread