Partition....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millenniumtiger

In Runtime
I've never been interested in using a partition, but family members have been getting viruses out of nowhere and they do use my computer as well. So, If I make a partition and have Vista work on one side, and then have all my files/downloads/programs on the other, and they accidently put a virus on my computer, then all I have to do in order to get rid of the virus is reinstall the Vista partition, correct?

Also, say on a 250gb hdd, how much should I make the partition that holds the OS?

Yes that is what will happen. I would say at least 50GB depending on how many apps you install.

I'm not so sure about that Mak. If you have your OS on one part, and files on another, the virus could be on either part. So just reinstalling the Vista partition will not guarantee that you will get rid of the virus. Who is to say the virus isn't on the other partition?

DId i not read the post correctly?

That all depends Lex. Yes the virus could be with something that gets downloaded. But most of the time if that happens you can isolate it to the file that was downloaded since it will corrupt the OS not the other partition.

That is the setup i have used for several years now. I have had viruses before and not once was anything but the OS infected. I just removed the virus from the other drive/partition and everything was fine on reinstall.

I kinda do it that way. I have a specific drive that i download to. From there i scan it and then keep it if need be. IF it turns out it is corrupt i just format the drive and use my external to put all the stuff back that was there.

I would definitely say that this method is not full-proof, as I have seen so many cases of infected files within the "Program Files" folder. Granted, many target your OS, there are a ton of bugs that love to duplicate themselves inside various program folders.

So my answer: separating your files/programs from your OS will add some degree of "safeness", but you're still far from being behind a complete shield. If I were you, I would use the same method as described by EricB above, as this will prove to be more effective than your current approach.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Hope that helps,

-Chase-

I would definitely say that this method is not full-proof, as I have seen so many cases of infected files within the "Program Files" folder. Granted, many target your OS, there are a ton of bugs that love to duplicate themselves inside various program folders.

So my answer: separating your files/programs from your OS will add some degree of "safeness", but you're still far from being behind a complete shield. If I were you, I would use the same method as described by EricB above, as this will prove to be more effective than your current approach.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Hope that helps,

-Chase-
Guess that was where i was coming from. It SEEMED as if the original poster was asking if partitioning the drives would create a blanket of security by separating the OS from the program files. While I agree, it does add some 'ease' to being able to reformat the partition that has the OS on it, it doesn't make your computer any less suseptible to virus's. It just makes it easier to deal with reformating the drive. And even that isn't full-proof because virus's can and will duplicate and install themselves on the other partition.

Just thought the OP wanted to know if this will prevent virus's from getting on the other partition, and the short answer is no it won't. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Since I have the hard drive space. I keep a compressed cloned copy of my C: drive on a secondary partition as well a off line storage. I consider a hard drive going bad more worse than getting a virus. So I'm always prepared for dooms day.:D

Thanks guys...I get what you all are saying. I understand that there is no real way to keep it off of the larger partition, but in "some cases" and I say that loosely lol, it can save you some time.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs...I will definitely use a partition for now on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom